Thursday, July 3

It's all good

A little update, as the hour is late.

We had a big pre-trip meeting tonight to talk through everybody's questions and anxieties. How are the flights working, how will we get around, where can we drink the water? Whatdawewearwhere? How do I keep from having my larynx bisected, liver removed, and camera stolen while strolling the streets? (That's my bete noir.)

Fortunately, we have a few experienced travelers in the crowd who'll keep we newbies from losing our composure. The appeals to group cohesion were both practical and comforting, though I did picture us going around in a jerky clump, like a South Park animation. Guess who's Cartman...

Oh, the money. It's okay - enough came through since Monday to cover the tab.

So the morning will find me out buying my first new suit in thirteen years. Lucky I don't have to schlep a tux about, as the singer guys have to do. That's our version of native costume. Anachronism meets incongruousness. As Yakov Smirnoff might say, "What a world!"

P.S. I was mistaken - the Forbidden City show is on. We'll have five concerts. Or more. We'll see!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very interesting. Mickey, I am still fretting about shoes.

Micky said...

Me, too, anon. I think I'm going to end up taking the smelliferous Tevas. Perhaps if I soak them in some vinegar?