Thursday, July 10

See you in Beijing

Tonight was the send-off concert at ROS's home base, the Hochstein School Performance Hall. It was the chorus that is traveling, which is a bout half the size of the 160 (or so) -strong membership. Some items rang out, others have yet to coalesce, but confidence was in the sound. Excitement and expectation was palpable. This is one psyched bunch of people! Visiting politicos declared July 9th ROS Day in the County of Monroe.

So, now we all wait for departure. Time to worry about the final domestic arrangements, the wardrobe, the packing. Our kitchen table is half covered with toiletries, palliatives, and sundries. We've measured the baggage. Micky has her project manager hat on, and it is stunning.

It's a curious role I play with ROS, and with my other clients. I'm not there to witness all the grinding effort of rehearsals, but I'm close enough to understand some of that aspect. I am both participant and observer. I feel invested in their efforts. Sometimes I wish to be sitting in the audience with no strings attached. Often I wish I was up there singing, immersed in that creation, that shared experience. Yet I should admit how very privileged I feel for the supporting role I'm given. What a lucky guy I am! Thank you, ROS.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip folks ! Can't wait to see pics and hear about it.